Doctor's Best Alpha-Lipoic Acid, Non-GMO, Gluten Free, Vegan, Soy Free, Promotes Healthy Blood Sugar, 600 mg, 60 Veggie Caps
- Doctor's Best Alpha-Lipoic Acid, Non-GMO, Gluten Free, Vegan, Soy Free, Promotes Healthy Blood Sugar, 600 mg, 60 Veggie Caps
- Content :60 Veggie Caps
- Supports the body's defenses against free radicals*
- Recycles antioxidant nutrients such as vitamin C and Vitamin E*
- Helps maintain a healthy blood sugar level when used as part of the diet*
- Non-GMO / Gluten Free
- Alpha-lipoic acid (ALA) is a naturally occurring antioxidant, essential for the functioning of 5 enzymes involved in glucose and amino acid metabolism. ALA is both a coenzyme and a potent antioxidant. Mitochondria, our cells' energy generators, use ALA for both protection and to generate cellular energy.
Alpha-lipoic acid is a sulfur-containing fatty acid that performs vitamin-like roles in the body. Also known as lipoic acid (LA) or thioctic acid, it functions as a co-enzyme in the metabolism of carbohydrates, and is in this way similar to B-complex vitamins. LA is required for synthesis of acetyl CoA, a key metabolite in the cellular process that turns glucose (blood sugar) into energy. Because the body produces LA on its own, it is not classified as a true vitamin. As with other so-called "non-essential" nutrients, however, internal LA production may not always be optimal.
Alpha-lipoic acid functions as both a water-soluble and fat-soluble antioxidant. Free radicals are normal by-products of metabolism that, while necessary at normal levels, may damage tissues over time if not properly kept in check by antioxidants. Lipoic acid’s ability to neutralize free radicals in both watery and fatty environments makes it a highly versatile antioxidant. In the body, alpha-lipoic acid can be converted (reduced) to DHLA, or dihydrolipoic acid, a potent mitochondrial antioxidant. It is not necessary to take DHLA as a supplement, as the body may readily convert LA to DHLA.